Hectic Hectic Hectic. That is how I would describe these last few days. Even with everything being hectic I had recorded the first episode of HBO’s Silicon Valley and I had a chance to watch it last night. I work in IT, more specifically Computer Software design and architecture etc so its pretty safe to say I was looking forward to this show. I absolutely loved it. It reminded me alot of Office Space meets The IT Crowd. It was a good show and I found myself messaging 1 liners back and forth with a friend of mine. So needless to say I hope it continues and doesn’t get cancelled. It’s good to see a comedy every once and a while on a pay channel that doesn’t have nudity etc all over the place.
So today’s recipe is one of my favorites. I started making Jerky over a year ago and I have made all kinds of Jerky. Before I decided to venture on this Paleo journey all the jerky I made was not Paleo compliant simply because it contains a form of gluten or soy. So it took a while to try to come up with an alternative and I will post a series of different recipes but I will start with a bit of a spicy one.
In general there are different types of jerky you can make one is made from a ground beef/bison or you can get a flank steak or similar and cut that in to strips. I have made both types but personally I have gravitated towards the ground beef simply because of price and it gets a texture like a slim jim. Here is a video of me putting some jerky on to my dehydrator.
This is really just a jerky gun and I load my jerky in to it and shoot it out.
On to the recipe.
- 3 lb Flank Steak or Ground Beef, as lean as possible (fat turns tough when dehydrated)
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 cup Coconut Aminos
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Chipotle Powder
- Take all ingredients except for the meet and blend it all together
- Mix ground beef with marinade
- Let it sit for about 2 hour in the fridge (no more than 24 hours)
- Load in to Jerky Gun and and put it in dehydrator.
- Partially freeze meat for 2-4 hours, until mostly solid.
- Slice meat into thin strips. (try to make sure they are all about the same size)
- Create the marinade in a large ziplock bag
- Toss meat in to marinade
- Let it sit for atleast 2 hours in the fridge (no more than 24 hours)
- Place strips on to your dehydrator
- Sprinkle with a little Salt & Pepper (I also add a bit of red chili if i want it spicier)
- You can dehydrate by setting your oven to lowest temp possible most can get to 160 or 170
- Add the steak strips or jerk gun strips on to oven sheet
- Cook for about 3.5 - 4 hours be sure to not over cook
- Take out a strip let it cook for a min, try to bend it. if it snaps its over cooked if it slowly peels apart when you bend it.. its perfect.