There are a few things to note on this back story on why I did this. Most people I tell that I was looking forward to making coconut milk would ask me why I wouldn’t just buy it in a can. Well its a simply answer, if you go through coconut milk as fast as I do $2 a can adds up quickly. On top of that if you have been following my blog you also know that I suffer from a rare stomach disorder so I am avoiding known gut/stomach irritants. Most cans of coconut milk that you buy off the shelf contain an additive called Guar Guam. Now I am not sure if this will irritate my stomach chances are it may not if I consume it in moderation however with the coconut milk that I go through I fear that it will add up and trigger another attack.
So that is a little back story on why I decided to try to make coconut milk. The better part of this is how EASY this was. I have tried other methods of making coconut milk but I could never seem to get the texture right. This recipe that the PaleoMom posted is spot on perfect. I did not tweak this at all and full credits/concept etc go directly to her. You should try to take a moment and check out her blog.
The only thing I can add to this, is next time I am going to make this with coconut water instead of regular water and take her up on her suggestion of putting this over her Paleo Granola. I will have to try to make that in the near future.
- 3/4 cup organic finely shredded unsweetened dried coconut
- 1 ¼ cup just boiled water
- Boil the water
- Put coconut in to blender with the boiled water
- Blend on high for 5 minutes
- Pour pulp into a Nut-Milk Bag or Cheesecloth (or other chosen strainer) suspended over a glass bowl
- Let the mixture drip in to the bowl or if you have no patience let it cool and squeeze it through